Talk Presented by: Andreas Molander : in WizIQ on 5 June, 2014
What an interesting presentation, so what did I learn from this presentation:
- There is help with correcting English (or other languages as are available on word documents) using a specific tool created by Prof. Molander
- Attendees of the MM4 have an opportunity to download and install the software for a free trial period. BUT must be downloaded before 8 June. All on the proviso of participating in surveys to help the owners of the software understand the usability stats etc.
- The annual price for the software is approximately $99 p.a. or $199 for 3 years. Need to check this on website.
- The tool used with Microsoft Word becomes a Tool bar on the page and can also be modified by the Teacher. The tool can also be turned off when not needed for paper correction, this is handy.
- The Tool bar can also be used by Students whom can, if willing, also re-adapt it to help their own understanding of common English language errors.
- Important name of the Tool: LANGCORR website: http://www.langcorr.com
- Video link to watch :
- …still thinking …
A little bit about this tool, the most important and useful element of this tool is that it cuts down on time spent correcting, and I am one of those teachers which not only crosses out the mistake but I am constantly writing the correct way in the side columns or on the bottom of the paper. This is so time consuming too. So sometimes the student does not always ‘learn’ how to avoid the mistake next time, meaning there is a high probability that particular error will pop up again on another paper.
The LANGCORR tool actually helps the Teacher to help the Student correct their own paper, the tool highlights the error and makes a comment on the side bar of the word document, so the student can work out what mistake they made. Then the Teacher can also work through the paper by cutting down the ‘help’ comments and leaving only the error highlighted with the type of error so the Student will have to actually work it out. In this way we actually are helping the student to overcome their problems with certain repetitive errors.
My opinion: GREAT we have a helping hand in correcting ‘writing papers’ that will check and highlight common errors adding notes to the document allowing the Students to follow and understand their mistakes — aiming at diminishing repetitive grammatical errors. I can’t wait to use it, only problem … we have a 2 month break before any papers start appearing on my desk again! Guess I’ll have to wait for the next year students bright and fresh in September.